Sunday, January 3, 2010

Some improvement...

...is better than none!! Norah's kidney function is not improving as quickly as the doctors had originally thought it would, but it is still improving! As far as I am concerned, some is better than none. As long as she is getting better and not worse I am happy! They have decided that the homolytic part has stopped. Her platelet count is back to normal and her hemoglobin & hematocrit are almost within normal range. She is getting epogen to help with that part though, since it takes some time for the body to do it alone. The epogen is a suncutaneous shot she gets every other day. I'm not sure how long they will continue it, but we will see! Dr. Porter also increased her cacium carbonate to 4 x daily since her phosphates are so high. I know that high phosphates aren't good, but it is expected with the severity that her HUS was.

You should see how skinny she is getting. At her 5 month well baby check up she was 16 pounds 15 ounces, she is down to 15 pounds 2 ounce. Good thing she was a chunky monkey!! Could you imagine if she was only 12 pounds and lost almost 2 pounds? That would be bad. She still looks healthy though, just skinnier!!! Her rolls aren't as deep!! HA HA HA!!

Look how happy she is though!

5 comments:

nomorelittlemonkeys said...

She looks so happy, even with all she's gone through! I hope improves to the point where she can go home soon!

Wanita said...

I am so happy to hear (and see) that Norah is doing better! Thoughts and prayers are still with you guys :) (((HUGS)))

JeniJ said...

Hi, Andrea, My sister told me about what happened with Norah. What horrible timing, not that any time would be good. I am so glad she is doing better. I hope she will be able to come home soon. You and your family are in my prayers!

Joyce said...

Oh look at how happy she is!! I am sorry her kidney function is not where the drs would like but she was a pretty sick baby. God has taken her this far....He is not done!

From The Owls' Nest said...

i just love that smile on Norah's face.....and I know that does your heart good. Still thinking of you and yours!!!