Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Another good day!

Ahhhh, I love the feeling I get when the doctor tells me a creatinine(kidney function) result that is lower than the day before!! There is nothing like it! Today, Norah's creatinine dropped from 3.7 to 3.1(should be between 0.0 & 0.5)! YAY!!! She pee'd again this morning! I can't wait for her to pee more than once in a day, but I know it is coming...patience is not a strength of mine though!

Since she is handling dialysis, so well, they decided to increase the volume, going into her, by 10 cc. She settles easy enough, but it is not comfortable for her when they fill her belly up. We have to try and coordinate her eating around the dialysis schedule. If we feed her as she is filling or draining she won't eat, or if she does she cries! It is really, quite, sad. BUT, we have to increase the amount to get better results from it. The faster we can get her kidneys back, the faster we can get out of here!!!

This morning, at rounds, they decided to take her off of her TPN (nutrition through her IV) and lipids. Her dialysis gives her about 50% of her daily caloric need, then you add the TPN and she is not hungry. Hopefully, she will be more eager to eat in the next couple of days. She did pretty well today, we now have her up to 1 1/2 ounces at a feeding. Yesterday and most of today I could only get 1 ounce in her. She is averaging 7 or so ounces daily, and she really should have about 26. We have a long ways to go, but we are getting there.

There is a good possibility that we will be leaving ICU tomorrow. It is bittersweet! I really, love it here. I like that I don't have to share my nurse, and what I really love, is that the nurses are fighting to get Norah, as their patient!! Today, Hillary wanted her but Monica wouldn't give her up, so Hillary stopped in several times to chat with us & to play with Norah!! I hope that they love her as much on the regular floor!!

4 comments:

Lisa J. said...

I am so grateful to hear good news each day on Norah! Andrea you are never far from my thoughts.

Joyce said...

I don't blame them for fighting over her....she is the sweetest, most adorable baby. So glad there is more progress every day...I want you guys to get out of there!!!!!

Jodi said...

It is wonderful to hear a bit of progress everyday! Continuing to send thoughts and prayers your way.

(((hugs)))

Heidi said...

HI Andrea!
I'm so sorry you have to go thrugh this again. It's amazing to see God at work in this. Do you need anything? Remember I don't work Thurs- Sunday!!! We here in Racine Love you and are praying for your family!

Love you-Heidi