Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Exhuberant!


That is how my Norah girl was this evening when she saw her daddy...she greeted him so "exhuberantly!" I loved it!!!

Today started a bit rough. Norah would NOT eat anything!! She would cry, gag, throw up, etc. as soon as the bottle came towards her mouth. We tried different nipples, we tried putting it in a syringe, and nothing would work. She was NOT having it any more. As I was holding her she was trying to eat my face. I asked them if I could nurse her and they finally caved, after my pleading. They were freaking out that she wouldn't eat, yet they didn't like the idea of not knowing exactly what she was taking in. Wouldn't ya know it, as soon as I was allowed to breastfeed her she calmed right down. She is a brand new girl now!! She started smiling, laughing, talking, etc. non stop, nothing can drag her down now. I have a feeling I will be up through the night to feed her, but it is worth it if she feels good. I think it is more about comfort for her. She is in this big scary place with strangers all around, so my nursing her comforts her, and sheesh people, she has been through enough, let her eat what she wants!! :o) She has gone from eating about 6 ounces a day to nursing 4 times since 4 pm...she probably had more than 6 ounces in just those few hours!!!

He blood counts continue to improve. Her creatinine is down to 2.7,and her BUN is in the 60 range. Her hemoglobin is hanging out in the low 9ish range, so they gave her some eopgen through her IV today. It will help her body to produce more red blood cells. Overall, the doctors are happy with her improvement.

They put her on the diaysis machine today & she has tolerated that very well. Tomorrow, as long as things continue to go well with dialysis, we will go to the 8th floor. That is the "kidney floor." I am sort of sad to leave the girls here, but moving out of ICU is always a good thing!! We will just come visit the ICU girls!!

A super fun thing happened today...we ran into one of the nurses that took care of Ethan and Chase when they were here 6 years ago. She recognized us right away, and us her. She says she thinks of us every year on New Years EVE! HA! We have thought about her & Hope so much over these past several years. Those two were right at our sides when Ethan had to be intubated right then and there, on our anniversary!! Jen worked late that night just to be with us & Hope carried Chase around the floor with her while Joe & I slept!! I mean, do nurses get any better than that? We also ran into Trisha a few days ago. She was there a lot too!! She came and talked to the boys and told them how she helped take care of them. They thought is was cool. Ethan talked her head off & Chase just smiled and showed his cute dimples!!! Children's hospital nurse ROCK!!!

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Those are awesome nurses! I am so glad you are in such a good place.

And gotta love breast feeding huh?? It will be so good for Norah to be close to you like this.

Lisa A. said...

Great news! See God knew that this hard work of breastfeeding would pay off and look it has! Good job Andrea! 2010 is going to be a great year for your family-I just know it! I told my brother Curt that last year and look what he ended up with-back working, a new house, and Jennifer 4 months pregnant! Hope Norah gets out of ICU today-to start the new year off right! Tell the family HI and take care! LA

nomorelittlemonkeys said...

Ah, the magical powers of the breast!!! I'm so happy she is getting some comfort and taking in nutrition at the same time! It's going to do wonders for both of you! That's awesome that you ran into the nurse who took care of your boys, too!

Laura-Lee said...

I am so happy for you!!!